Research Paper: Supervisory Skills
Your research paper is based on the following scenario:
You have just taken over as the head of Toyota’s Quality Control Department. You are a Vice President (VP) and answer directly to the CEO. You have seven directors that answer to you. Each director manages one of the following divisions:
1. Drive Systems (including brakes, axles, and wheels)
2. Electrical Systems
3. Safety Systems
4. Body and Chassis (including suspension)
5. Material (quality of all materials that go into making car / truck)
6. Manufacturing Equipment (all systems that go into making a car, the factory line)
7. Facilities (all the supporting facilities, paperwork, etc)
Each director has a group of inspectors and managers for their divisions.
The previous VP has been let go, for cause. The departments morale is very low and there is a great deal of pressure for each division to perform.
You are to develop a paper to present to the CEO that will outline how you are going to turn around the department (your department “ hint “ you are NOT in charge of production). You should include / address the following areas:
1. Short term (1 year) and long term (2-10 years) goals. Make sure they are SMART.
2. Any reorganization that you plan to do within your department.
3. Any assistance you will need from other departments.
4. Any training you will do with your department, and the company as a whole. (this ties into number three, since you will need to work with other departments)
5. An analysis of what challenges you will face. Think of this as a way of analyzing your potential pitfalls as your group undergoes change.
6. What leadership traits do want your seven directors to have? Pick at least three. Why did you pick these traits? How will you ensure that the directors have or gain the required skills.
You should use proper APA sixth edition formatting.
Paper should contain no more than 20% direct citations or quotations. That means 80% should be your own analysis, thoughts, and ideas. Before submitting your paper, please make sure that it is checked using Turn It In checker (located at the bottom of the assignment’s turn in page).
A minimum of three references are required. Two must be from the APUS Library (See Course Guide for help).
Style Guidelines for the paper:
Use a header on every page, including the title page. The header should be formatted according to APA guidelines.
A title page with the title, author, class, class section, professor, and date should be on the title page, centered on the page. This title page does NOT count toward your page requirement.
Margins are one inch on all sides.
All content is double-spaced and left-justified.
Indent the first line of every paragraph five spaces or use the TAB key. Do NOT leave extra space between paragraphs.
Use Times New Roman, 12-point font.
An Executive Summary is required.
References should be on a separate page at the end of the paper.
Use APA style guidelines for the paper, including all references and other writing.