The criminal justice system is primarily concerned with law enforcement and the search for justice, and the police are the first point of contact in this system. The police are in charge of law enforcement; it is, in fact, the sworn duty of every police officer to “uphold the law.” The American criminal justice system depends upon these men and women to do so. Policing is a complex balance of interpersonal interaction, upholding laws, and protecting freedoms. Police officers encounter any number of challenges as they attempt to maintain this balance and execute their duties assisting citizens, resolving disputes, and enforcing criminal law.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 4 in your course text, Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction. Pay close attention to how each different style of policing might present a challenge while assisting citizens, resolving disputes, and enforcing criminal law.
- Review the City of Boise Community Policing Web site, and think about how community policing compares to the other styles of policing.
- Review Chapter 5 in your course text, Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction. Consider what challenges the specific legal duties of law enforcement pose for the policemen on duty.
- Review Chapter 6 in your course text, Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction. Focus on the challenges faced by law enforcement personnel and what strategies they can employ to address each challenge..
- Select one challenge in each area of policing duties—assisting citizens, resolving disputes, and enforcing criminal law—to focus on in this Discussion.
- Think about how police might address each of these challenges.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 your thoughts on the following statement-“police officers are expected to enforce the law while meeting the needs of the community.” Explain how and why this could be challenging for police officers as they carry out their duties (assisting citizens, resolving disputes, and enforcing criminal law.) Be specific and use examples to illustrate you points.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.