Assignment 2: Project Paper Due Week 8 and worth 200 points
The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, architecture, history, music, or literature. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you already are!
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that responds to each of the items described in the topic.
For the topic you choose:
1. Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the things listed.
2. While some of the topics tend to lend themselves toward particular writing genres, you are not restricted to the specific format suggested for the individual topic. For example, you may do an œinterview, a œproposal, a œletter, a œshort story, a œblog, an œessay, an œarticle, or any other written genre for almost any of the topics. The project is intended to be fun as well as informative, so feel free to be creative with the delivery of your information.
3. Use at least two (2) sources besides the textbook, which counts as one (1) source.
Topic choices (pick 1): ï‚· Office Art Memo. Memorandum. Your boss, who knows you’ve been taking a humanities class since he pays for your tuition reimbursement, has tasked you with managing the art budget for your company, expecting you to choose various pieces of art for the new corporate offices. (Note: Replicas of the works are acceptable since they are more cost-efficient and you are working on a budget.)
Include the following:
1. Identify three examples of 19th century Impressionist painting or sculpture and three Post- Impressionist works. Explain how the six pieces of art fall into these two styles.
2. In a memo, describe the appearance of your six choices to your CEO so he or she will know what the art looks like and where it would be placed in the corporate offices.
3. Explain why each piece is considered to be historically significant.
4. Explain how each piece œfits your company’s overall (or desired) corporate image. Keep in mind that a piece of art is supposed to œsay something about the owner, so describe what would these pieces of art say about your company. ï‚· New Composition. Speech. Your uncle’s birthday is in two months, and everyone knows that he loves almost all kinds of music. As a birthday gift for him, you want to have a special piece of music composed in his honor which will be played at a family birthday celebration. Write a speech that you will make to the composer’s agent. Include the following:
1. Narrow your choices down to three composers you’ve studied in this course. Choose one of the composers and explain why you want him to write the œbirthday present music.
2. Explain why the other two composers were ultimately not selected.
3. Specifically identify the musical elements in the composer’s style that you would like to be included in the new music written for your uncle.
4. Describe what sort of emotion is generated by listening to the works of your selected composer; in other words, what do you want your uncle to œfeel as he hears the music, and why is this composer so perfect for this composition?
HUM 112 “ Assignments and Rubrics
ï‚· Harlem Renaissance Poets. Essay & Poem. Choose two poems by different authors from the Harlem Renaissance. Write an essay that:
1. Describes each author’s role and importance within the Harlem Renaissance.
2. Identify the elements in each of their poems in which you see evidence of the œdouble- consciousness being expressed by each author.
3. Describe the primary themes you see in the poetry written during this time period, referring to specific lines in each of the poems.
4. Write your own poem that expresses these identified themes of the Harlem Renaissance. ï‚· Women’s Roles Then & Now. Script. Script a conversation between two notable women from the 18th and/or 19th century on the roles women should play in society.
Within the dialogue, include:
1. Biographical information for each woman,
2. The historical status for women in general during the time period in which each woman lived.
3. What opinions each of the women might have on the role the women should play in society during their lifetimes.
4. What each of the women might think about women’s current roles. ï‚· Other topic choice recommended and approved by the professor and supported by the grading rubric.
The Project Paper will be graded on: ï‚·
The level to which the instructions were followed. ï‚·
The extent to which all four (4) parts in the topic were addressed.
ï‚· The adequacy of information, examples, and details which support the general claim or main idea. ï‚· The clarity and relevance of the explanations and descriptions.
ï‚· Adherence to standard rules of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics. ï‚·
The inclusion of three (3) required references (two (2) additional sources besides your textbook) documented using APA style.
Your assignment must: ï‚· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions specific to the selected topic. ï‚· Include a cover page containing the tile of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are: ï‚· Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes. ï‚· Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context. ï‚· Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions. ï‚· Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
HUM 112 “ Assignments and Rubrics
ï‚· Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of world cultures. ï‚· Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric. Points: 200 Assignment 2: Project Paper
Criteria Unacceptable Below 60% F
Meets Minimum Expectations 60-69% D
Fair 70-79% C
Proficient 80-89% B
Exemplary 90-100% A
1. Follow topic instructions within the individual topic selected. Weight: 20%
Did not submit or incompletely followed topic instructions within the individual topic selected.
Insufficiently followed topic instructions within the individual topic selected.
Partially followed topic instructions within the individual topic selected.
Satisfactorily followed topic instructions within the individual topic selected.
Thoroughly followed topic instructions within the individual topic selected.
2. Address each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic. Weight: 25%
Did not submit or incompletely addressed each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic.
Insufficiently addressed each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic.
Partially addressed each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic.
Satisfactorily addressed each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic.
Thoroughly addressed each of the four (4) points in the chosen topic.
3. Provide sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea. Weight: 30%
Did not submit or incompletely provided sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea.
Insufficiently provided sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea.
Partially provided sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea.
Satisfactorily provided sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea.
Thoroughly provided sufficient information, examples, and details to support the general claim or main idea.
4. References “ number and quality Weight: 5%
No references provided
Does not meet the required number of references; all references poor quality choices.
Does not meet the required number of references; some references poor quality choices.
Meets number of required references; all references high quality choices.
Exceeds number of required references; all references high quality choices.
5. Clarity, writing mechanics, referencing, and formatting requirements Weight: 20