Prepare and present a 20 minute presentation, 10 pages on the following question:
Describe and discuss how you would work therapeutically with a client/patient who presents with a Postnatal Depression mental health difficulty. Place emphasis on your theoretical approach, using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, clear understanding of the mental health difficulty and your proposed treatment plan/goals.
References : Harvard: Number of sources 10
Demonstrate awareness and understanding of different models of mental ill health and well-being.
Analyse the inter-relationships of genome, processes of epigenesist and experience in the genesis of mental distress.
Evaluate the adequacy of diagnostic systems for mental distress.
Positive mental health and wellness will be explored in relation to activities in mental health promotion and recovery.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of key underlying concepts and theories relevant to counselling.
Demonstrate a critical appreciation of key debates relevant to the concept of counselling.
Ability to be critically reflexive in the application of theories to counselling practice.
Work effectively independently, managing time and working to deadlines
Work effectively within a group
1. Davey, G (2008) Psychopathology: Research, Assessment and Treatment in Clinical Psychology (Wiley Blackwell).
2. Rusello, A (2007) Severe Mental Illness in Primary Care: a companion guide for counsellors, psychotherapists and other professionals. Radcliffe Publishing
Key additional texts:
1. DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) by American Psychiatric Association (1994)
2. ICD-10: The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders: Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Guidelines by World Health Organization (1992)
1. Claringbull, N (2011) Mental Health in Counselling and Psychotherapy (Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice) (Learning Matters)
2. Daines, B, Gask, L & Howe, A (2007) Medical and Psychiatric Issues for Counsellors 2nd eds (Sage)
3. Freshwater, D (2006) Mental Health and ILLNESS: Questions and answers for counsellors and therapists (Wiley)
6. Lago, C (2005) Race, Culture and Counselling: The Ongoing Challenge (Open University Press)
7. Schwitzer, A.M & Lawrence, L.B (2012) Diagnosis and Treatment Planning Skills for Mental Health Professionals: A Popular Culture Casebook Approach (Sage)