Must be in APA format, and answer must be from
Peak, K. J. (2012). Policing America: Challenges and best practices (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall. Chapters 1 and 2.
PART I: SHORT RESPONSE
Directions: Please answer each of the following questions. Ensure that your responses are at least 1-2 paragraphs in length for each question. You may include examples from the text; however, please include APA citations as necessary. Please visit the Academic Resource Center for a concise guide on APA format.
1. Describe the colonial period’s three legacies to contemporary policing. Then list and discuss two powerful trends in England and America that brought about changes in policing in both countries.
2. List and describe major characteristics of the three eras of policing.
3. Describe August Vollmer’s contributions to policing.
4. Discuss how Peel’s œprinciples of policing are relevant to today’s police practices.
5. Explain the 1829 œMetropolitan Police Act, and what it provided to the history of policing.
6. Explain the contributions that were made to professional policing by William Parker.
7. Describe how policing was returned to its roots by the President’s Crime Commission.
8. Examine how the struggle for civil rights affected the police-community relationship.
9. Describe the functions of the law enforcement agencies contained within the U.S. Department of Justice.
10. What are the agencies contained with the Department of Homeland Security, including their roles and functions?
11. What is INTERPOL and how does it function?
12. Discuss the Uniform Crime Reports”its methods of collecting data, purpose, and shortcomings.
13. What is the role of the National Crime Information Center (NCIC)? Discuss its purpose and application by law enforcement agencies.
14. This chapter described two œother federal law enforcement agencies”the CIA and IRS. How would you describe their major roles and functions?
15. Describe the primary functions and organization of state law enforcement agencies.
PART II: JOURNAL ACTIVITY
Review the website of any large law enforcement agency (e.g., a large city police department, large county sheriff’s office, state police agency or a large federal law enforcement agency) and write a 200-400 word essay (1-2 pages, 12-point font, double spaced) about the history of the agency and how it has grown to its current level of resources and divisions.