For this week’s discussion, each student will select a
different consumer brand from the Superbowl commercials. Then, using concepts from the textbook, students will create their own œsubstantive post and address the following:
- Based on the ad, describe the target market. (See Chapter 4, if necessary.)
- For the target market, to which needs does the product or ad appeal? Why? (See Chapter 5, Exhibit 5-4, PSSP Hierarchy of Needs.)
- Is problem-solving routine, limited or extensive? Justify. (See Chapter 5, Exhibit 5-10, Problem-Solving Continuum.)
In addition to the substantive post, students will make
at least 2 follow-up replies to others. The criteria of quality, quantity and timeliness apply “ review the document under the syllabus tab if necessary.
A few caveats:
- Title your substantive post with the name of the brand (e.g., œGoDaddy.) so that anyone viewing the forum will know the brand that you selected without reading the post.
- Select a brand with an ad targeted to consumers. For instance, the GoDaddy ads are targeted to small businesses, not consumers, and therefore should not be a substantive post.
- Your substantive post should be unique. Don’t duplicate a consumer brand that another student has already used. Students who post early will have more choice but there’s plenty to choose from. Dr B will deal with timing issues as-needed (e.g., posting about the same brand 5 minutes after someone else could be understandable but posting a duplicate brand 5 days after someone else would not be justifiable).
- Be objective and analytic. It it tempting to be subjective about the Superbowl ads. For instance, œI like Danica Patrick, so I liked the GoDaddy commercial is subjective, not objective. Think like a marketer and use course concepts.