The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
In 1895, a report called
Report from the Departmental Committee on Prisons, also known as the
Gladstone Committee Report (GCR), was developed. The purpose of this report was to introduce ideas regarding rehabilitation in the United Kingdom.
An example of the impact in the United States was the creation of the standardized sentencing guidelines and the continual amendments used to assist offenders. In the United Kingdom, the GCR influenced how rehabilitation programs were being developed.
Discuss how the Gladstone Committee Report addressed conflict over the words
treatment. In this discussion, identify which word you would choose and the impact it has on society.
- Using the course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the Gladstone Committee Report.
- Address the following in 3“5 paragraphs:
- How did the GCR address the use of the words rehabilitation and treatment?
- Which word would you choose as the appropriate term for handling offenders? Why?
- How does that word impact society? Explain.
- Post a new topic to the Discussion Board that contains your responses pertaining to the above information.
- Comment on at least 2 other students’ posts, and either provide further information to support their word choice, or thoroughly explain why you have selected the best word.
In your own words, please post a response to the Discussion Board and comment on at least two other postings. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text,