**A POP PSYCHOLOGY ARTICLE IS AN ARTICLE THAT IS MADE BY SUPPORTING REFERENCES AND DETAILS OF A REAL ARTICLE. POP-PSYCHOLOGY ARTICLES ARE HOWEVER MODIFIED TO APPEAL TO THE PUBLIC AUDIENCE AND ARE OFTEN MODIFIED.
You will find a ‘pop-psychology’ article that references a real article. Pop-psych articles are news articles from the internet/newspapers/magazines about psychology. They use a reference from a real peer-reviewed article, but often misuse the findings to suit their opinions or needs.
1. Find a pop-psych article that references a real peer reviewed article. Any source, but be sure the pop-psych article is long enough to write about fully.
2. Find the real article it references. The librarians and the tutoring center are great reference points for this!
3. Read both articles
4. Attach the full pop-psych article and the first page of the peer reviewed article to your homework. — The first page of the peer reviewed article is a copy from the journal itself, not the EBSCO host or Search Premier citation. (minus 5 points for not attaching each article/first page)
5. Make a reference page with all articles, books used. Title ‘References’ – NOT work cited. Use APA format for reference page.
6. Use a cover/title page for this paper with your name, the assignment, etc.
7. The paper itself must be at least 2 full pages. TNR, 12pt font, 1 inch margins.
8. DO NOT QUOTE AT ALL FROM ANYTHING. Quoting is a very bad habit. It may be used in some fields, but generally never in the sciences unless quoting an actual participant.
Complete the following as a cohesive essay:
a.Explain the topic with reference to the articles and class/book information if possible. (10 points) This should be about one page of explanation.
b.Explain how well the pop-psych article used the real article. (5 points)
c.Explain why this topic appealed to you. (5 points)
1) Pop-Psych: http://www.spring.org.uk/2014/01/anxiety-getting-excited-beats-trying-to-calm-down.php
2) Real article found by clicking on in-text link (Brooks, 2013). Then found through the Findlay Library. Please call the library if you need help with their system. Some real articles will be at the end of the pop-psych article. Some real articles can be found through searching scholar.google.com and searching for the scientists name and key terms for the paper.