Homework 9 CEM 442 – Spring 2020 Civil Engineering
Work type: Other : Assignment
Format: Not applicable
Pages: 2 pages ( 550 words, Double spaced
Academic level: Undergrad. (yrs 3-4)
Subject or discipline: Civil Engineering
Title: Homework 9
CEM 442 – Spring 2020
Please provide your answer below each question for questions 1, 4, 5 and 6 (20 points each), questions 2 and 3 (10 points each)
- List the four steel application-based classes and briefly explain each.
- Sketch the commonly used hot-rolled sections used in building construction.
- Each W-shape is designated by two numbers. What means W 14 x 38?
- Discuss two basic approaches used for fire protection of steel
- In a typical structural steel floor or roof framing, there are three types of elements, called primary, secondary, and tertiary elements. Explain what these are and what material(s) they consist of.
- Explain the pros and cons of welding versus bolting in steel structures.
HW – General guidelines:
- Turn in your assignment online by the due date, as noted in the course calendar.
- Respond to each question fully, but keep your responses succinct – meaning clear and simple.
- Ensure that your responses are professional; poor grammar/spelling, poor organization, or poor presentation will be cause for reduced grades.
- Use the “correct” terms learned in the class and in the book, especially those terms that are italicized in the book.
- Assignments are to be done individually except when noted.
- Please use letter size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
- Add a header with your name, course, the date and the assignment type (HW).
- Add a footer with the page number and the total number of pages.
- Diagrams and sketches are to be student-created. You may use computer graphics (preferred when sketches are requested), embedded in the document. If necessary, hand sketches may be attached in the appropriate place in the homework.
Sloppy, difficult to read homework may be returned or significantly marked down.