Film Guide to A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Go to YOUTUBE movies 1980 version 2:36:08
1. Briefly identify these characters and their role in the film:
Dr. Alexandre Manette of Beauvais
Mr. Jarvis Lorry of Tellson’s and Company Bank, Paris and London
Charles Darnay (his mother’s maiden name)
Monseigneur/ Monsieur the Marquis St. EvrÃ©mond
Mme (Madame) ThÃ©rÃ¨se Defarge
2. Where had Lucie Manette’s father been for 16 years?
3. How does the Uncle of Charles Darnay, the Marquis St. EvrÃ©mond, symbolize in the novel the oppression of the common people by the aristocrats. How is justice achieved in his case?
4. Of what does Charles accuse his Uncle? How does the Marquis St. EvrÃ©mond seek to destroy his nephew Charles, and nearly succeed?
5. For what political activity is Mme. Defarge famous until today?
6. What motivated the condemnation of the house of St. EvrÃ©mond written by Dr. Alexandre Manette? What is the connection between the diary of Dr. Manette and Mme ThÃ©rÃ¨se Defarge and 16 years of imprisonment in the North Tower of the Bastille Prison?
7. How does Charles Darnay escape the guillotine at last?
8. Read a biographical sketch of the author Charles Dickens. What incident in the life of Dickens disposed England’s most famous author in the year of publication of A Tale of Two Cities (1859) to be sympathetic to the working class of France? ( there is one at the beginning of the selection for HIST 111 supplementary reading)