Pick only three out of the following five topics and write a short essay, approximately two pages, double spaced, on the following for each of the three topics:
1) Identify the factors leading up to the passage of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 together with the purpose and at least three provision of the Act. Explain from class discussion, the text and your own knowledge whether those three purposes have been met.
2) Explain the significance of the Railway Labor Act to the airline industry in U.S.
3) Describe the purpose of the Civil Aeronautics Act of 1938 and whether those objectives were met over the twenty years it was in effect before replaced in 1958 by the Federal Aviation Act.
4) Describe the purpose of the Airmail Act of 1925 (The Kelly Act), the Air Commerce Act of 1926, and the Airmail Act of 1930 (McNary-Watres Act) and how these federal laws helped promote commercial aviation in the U.S.
5) Discuss how the FAA exercises its primary function to promote aviation safety by prescribing regulations to certify airmen and airwomen, aircraft, air carriers, air navigation facilities and airports.
Extra Credit: (50 points)
6) Describe the role the federal government played in the early years of aviation, from the Wright Bros. first flight in 1903 up to the entry of the U.S. in WWI.