There are many different ways to graphically present population data. The most important demographic characteristic of a population is its age-sex structure, and the use of an age-sex pyramid, also known as a population pyramid, is considered the best way to graphically illustrate the age and sex distribution of a given population.
An age-sex pyramid consists of two horizontal histograms joined together. It displays the percentage or actual amount of a population broken down by gender and age. The five-year age increments on the y-axis allow the pyramid to vividly reflect both long-term trends in the birth and death rates, and shorter-term baby-booms, wars, and epidemics.
For this Case Assignment go to the U.S. Census Bureau Site “ International Programs “
International Database Site.
To view a country’s population pyramid, select a country and year from the pull-down menus. Then click on œsubmit and you will see data on various demographic indicators (i.e. population, fertility, mortality and migration) for the country. To view the specific population pyramid, simply click on the tab directly above the right side of the histogram graph.
Brazil is considered to be an advanced developing country. First, access the population pyramids for the year 2012 for Brazil and the United States.
Then write a 2-3 page essay in which you complete address the following tasks:
(A) Describe the Population Growth pyramids for Brazil and the United States. Classify the pyramid type for each (i.e. Expansive, Constrictive, Stationary, Contracting) and justify your response.
(B) Citing current demographic trends, compare and contrast the basis of fertility rates and crude fertility rates in Brazil to that of the United States.
Please read before completing assignments.
- Assignment should be 2-3 pages in length (double-spaced).
- Please use major sections corresponding to the major points of the assignment, and where appropriate use sub-sections (with headings).
- Remember to write in a Scientific manner (try to avoid using the first person except when describing a relevant personal experience).
- Quoted material should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is on independent thinking and critical analysis). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others.
- When material is copied verbatim from external sources, it MUST be properly cited. This means that material copied verbatim must be enclosed in quotes and the reference should be cited either within the text or with a footnote.
- Use of peer-reviewed articles is strongly recommended. Websites as references should be minimal.