PROJECT PART 1 INSTRUCTIONS
Homeless Population in Philadelphia
This part involves scholarly resources and internet/media resources related to the culture you will be exploring. The culture may be a different ethnicity, religion, cultural group, or have other significantly different cultural features (e.g., the elderly in nursing homes, disabled children, disabled adults, the homeless, prisoners, etc.). As a reminder, you cannot select a cultural group that you have had previous experience with. For example, if you’ve interacted with many Cubans previously, you cannot do the Cuban culture for your immersion project. This also applies to your cultural background. For example, if you are a White student from an Irish background, you cannot do your immersion project on the Irish culture. No œdouble-dipping. The culture you select must by new for you. For parts 2 and 3, you will also need to be able to participate in cultural group activities and interview a person from your selected cultural group (see parts 2 and 3 handouts for information on those later activities).
You will read 3 scholarly resources on your cultural population of interest (must be dated 2005 or later). A pertinent unassigned chapter from McGoldrick may count as one of these sources; however, the Hays and Erford text chapters may not count as a source. You must also use the internet or media to examine at least 3 significant media resources related to the culture. For example, on the internet, you may find the following culturally useful and prominent types of sources:
Online newspapers from the country.
Internet radio broadcasts.
Music of the country/group.
Movies or videos.
Culturally-specific online magazines or websites.
You will answer the questions below. First person may be used in your answers. While this is not a regular academic paper (since it can be in outline form answering questions and in first person), you will still need to observe good APA style (1 margins, Â½ indents of paragraphs, everything double-spaced, correct citation style if used, etc.). The paper must have a correct title page, and you must use a reference page if you cite sources (no abstract is needed). A rough word estimate is beside each question. The quality of your answer is more important than the word count. You may expand further, but you do not have to do so. Do not forget to put your name at the top of your answers!
1. What are some key things you’ve learned about this culture through reading the scholarly literature? [about 300 words]
2. What are some key things you’ve learned about this culture through interacting with internet websites, online papers, and other media sources related to the culture? [about 300 words]
3. Are there any current surprises in what you’re finding out about this culture? [about 100 words]
4. How does your search through the literature and internet impact your expectations as you plan your group immersion activities (Part 2 of the Cultural Immersion Project)? [about 200 words]
5. In APA style, list the scholarly sources and internet/media sources that you used for this part of the immersion project.