Due Wednesday March 12, 2014, before 11:50pm
Online submission: use the Turnitin link found on the course page on iLearn.
Do you agree with the Buddha’s teaching concerning the origin and cessation of dukkha?
(1) Your essay should (a) concisely explain the Buddha’s view of dukkha, its origin, and
the conditions of its cessation (with textual support), and (b) state whether and why you
agree or disagree. If you agree, provide support from your experience. If you disagree,
provide support from your experience. In other words, I want you to explore whether
your experience supports the claims made by the Buddha.
(2) Paper Title: Buddhism and Dukkha
(3) Intro/Thesis Statement: Simply state whether you agree or disagree with the Buddha’s
view on the origin and cessation of dukkha, also briefly indicating the reason for your
(4) Body of Paper: Be sure that you use the body of the paper to provide clear support for
your thesis statement, and make sure each paragraph has a single main point. The body of
the paper should address the issues noted above in (1).
(5) Your paper must be between 550 and 600 words (not to exceed 700 words), and you
must include a word count at the end of your paper. Your paper must be typed. Use a
standard font such as Times Roman.
(6) Your paper must provide some quotes from In the Buddha’s Words, trans. Bodi.
There’s no need for a separate œworks cited page. Use parenthetical citations for all
quotes as follows: (Bodi, p. 36).
(7) Do not use any sources in addition to course handouts and the course text In the
Failure to comply with any of the above guidelines will result in a diminished grade. For
example, papers missing a word count will be marked down 1/2 letter grade.
Email me or the course TA as soon as possible if you have any questions about this
assignment. Contact emails are located on course syllabus.